Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Madness

I spent one summer in shouted arguments with my mother,
All of which I regret.
Not because she was right
Not because I was right
But because neither of us listened to the other.

I spent two weeks that summer with sixty other kids
Who were in love with God
Some more than others
Many more than I
And I admired them, and wondered how they did it.

And there was this girl
And she was one of them
It seemed as if she had it all together.
She was in charge of devotions
Of course.

And she prayed this prayer
And it was beautiful
She was crying, and pleading with God to break us.
I could not figure it out
Of course.

I spent the rest of that summer trying to solve it--
Why ask to be broken?
I have heard it throughout my memory
I have heard it from many people
Be broken, and submit.

The rest of that summer became the next few years:
Try as I might, I would not break.
I could not desire to be broken;
I could not ask anyone to break me.
Submission should be the result of a choice.

3 comments:

Lea M. Booth said...

Now don't freak out, Mom. This is not about you or Dad or how I was raised. You did a good job.

It's about me working out a philosophy. Or something.

Delores said...

This is beautiful Lea and so insightful. When you "break a horse", you force it to submit to your will and do what you want it to do; taking away it's freedom in the process. It's the same when one person breaks another; it's all about control. I personally don't believe that God wants us broken and I think he wants us to come and join Him as He made us, spirited and full of life.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.
You are beautiful.
I thank the Lord for your heart, because it teaches me so much about His.
xoxo,
M.A.