Monday, April 27, 2009

Or you'll fall for anything?

Occasionally I'm bothered by the fact that I don't know where I stand on lots of different issues. Other people so often seem to have everything figured out. They have firm positions and well reasoned arguments in support of those positions, whereas I'm barely figuring out that there's a problem that needs a solution.

I didn't think that I was in such a bubble. Perhaps the problems we concentrated on in the Marines were just different... I mean, I had positions and reasonable arguments on such issues as women in combat and the invasion/occupation of Iraq and "don't ask, don't tell". And, in another former life, I had positions and reasonable arguments on such issues as hurricane preparedness and little old lady drivers.

My mom has often said about me that I think I'm always right. I contend that there's no point in holding an opinion that I think is wrong. I believe strongly in keeping an open mind, and I've always been a fan of logical debate. I don't think I'm infallible, by any stretch of the imagination.

But I do think it's important to know where I stand.

1 comment:

Aunt Karen said...

Lea, you are truly entertaining and I love reading your ideas and thoughts on your website. Oh yeah, by the way, you truly are a mess and that's one of the reasons why I do love you, kiddo. Always keep it real!