Sunday, February 21, 2010

Drama, drama, drama

It's everywhere, man. My roommate (who is awesome, a good friend, and a good guy) and his girlfriend are having issues, and for some reason I am involved by default. I don't like it; I don't actually have anything to do with their relationship, and it makes me feel bad that the roomie has to duck and weave through this minefield of feminine crazy, and that he has to worry not only about his relationship with his gf, but also, a little, with me.

And then there's church drama... Not at my church, by the grace of God (although I'm sure there is drama there all the time, just not drama I'm aware of or invested in), but bad situations for my parents in Jacksonville and my best friend's parents with a church in Illinois.

It all makes me very sad.

My heart especially hurts for my mom, who says she's okay, but who is in a situation that is anything but. And to be told that it's God's will that everything is this way, by people she loves and respects... Well, I guess it has to be said that I can totally empathize with my dad when he says he'd like to go and tell them about themselves. Not that I think that should happen, of course, but I know where he's coming from. Injustice of this kind "gets my back up" as we say in the South... Or as I like to say, makes me bristle. Kind of like the time when some drunk chick at a concert kept whacking Mum and I wanted to deck her. The girl, not my mom. Not that that's an exact metaphor, but I think you'll know what I'm getting at.

We're fighters. Like, to the miserable end, when it's us against the world, in a totally un-winnable situation. And we know it's not going to turn out like the Karate Kid or Rocky. When it's more like Million Dollar Baby. And it's hard to have to back down from a fight when the adrenaline is rushing through your body, when you know that the right is on your side... But I supposed maybe it's better to walk away than to end up paralyzed.




No comments: